.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Somewhat Litvshe Yid

Friday, June 03, 2005

As promised...L'same yichud

Or, as most people say it...L'shem yichud - לשם יחוד.

I'm quoting from the Nodeh B'Yehuda, Madora Kama, Yoreh Da'eh 93...
(The translation is mine, so if you think I'm off, look it up yourself)

And on the fourth who asked about the nusach for L'shem yichud, that in recent times has spread and been printed in siddurim. On this I will respond, you've come to ask me about the correct nusach, when it would be better if you asked me if saying it was a good thing at all. In my opinion this is an evil sickness in our generation and what about the previous generations that did not know from this nusach and didn't say it. They toiled all their days in Torah and Mitzvos all according to the Torah and according to the poskim whose words spring forth from the source of the living waters (ממקור מים חיים) the sea of the Talmud, about them it is said חומת ישרים תנחם. And they are the ones that brought forth fruit above and beyond and their lovingkindness is great in heaven. But those in our generation who have left Toras HaShem and the sourse of living waters, the two Talmudim, Bavli and Yerushalmi to dig for themselves broken pits and they do, with arrogant hearts, each one says I am the visionary and for me the gats of heaven have opened and for me the world exists. These are the destoryers of the generation. And for this orphaned generation I say, the ways of HaShem are straight and tzadikim will walk them and Chassidim will fail upon them. I have much to say on this topic, but just as it is a mitzva to say that which will be heeded it is a mitzvah not to say that which will not be heeded. And may HaShem have mercy upon us.
(Two and a half paragraphs of pilpulim in the nusach)
But I have already given my opinion that silence is better in this case and it should be forgotten. And even in one's thoughts one should concentrate only on the פירוש המלות and in this way one will go surely and not fail in any way. And it is better that I do not expound further and from overwhelming responsibilities I need be brief.


And not to be one to bring things in a one sided manner...to get the other side see the Tshuvah of Rav Chaim MiTchernovitz. I own two books (that is, שתים שהם ארבעה) of Chassidus. One being the Nesivos Shalom and the other Sidduro Shel Shabbos by R' Chaim MiTchernovitz, also known for his pirush on Parsha, Be'er Mayim Chaim.
In any event, at the back of the first volume of the two volume set (Published by Machon Be'er Mayim, תשנ"ה) is a response of Rav Chaim to the Nodah B'Yehuda. It was only pointed out to me this evening and I haven't had a chance to go through it. I will look through it over Shabbos, bli neder and if I see something worth posting will do so. In any event, I'm firmly on the Nodeh B'Yehuda's side on this one. I do realize, as I think did he, that it's a losing battle. That still does not remove the need to fight it, L'Same Samayim.

Are you happy Kvetcher?

9 Comments:

  • more than a pig in mud! yassar koach.

    By Blogger thekvetcher, at Friday, June 03, 2005 3:28:00 AM  

  • What about the deQabbalafied hineni mukhan introductions found in some Israeli siddurs?

    By Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg), at Sunday, June 05, 2005 7:36:00 PM  

  • Who said it is a lost cause ?

    As the Breslover Rebbe Nachman said, Reb Yid, zeit nit miyaeish (don't despair) !

    Even a miktzas hatzlocho is a hatzlocho ! Even if all Chassidim don't become Litvaks right away. ;-)

    http://kalterlitvak.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger L., at Monday, June 06, 2005 9:38:00 PM  

  • There is actually a problem with the Hineini Mimuchan U'mzuman. I don't say it and it isn't in my siddur. I'll try to look at it this evening and see if I can remember what the issue is.

    By Blogger Litvshe, at Tuesday, June 07, 2005 9:25:00 AM  

  • I understand that Lsheim Yichud is total avoda zara, but whats wrong with Hineini Mimuchan U'mzuman? Its an inyan of kavana...no?

    I'll check my siddur HaGra this evening.

    By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:02:00 PM  

  • You're an apikoris Jameel. And since it says T'dah Eich LaHashiv L'Apikoris, I'll find the answer. Meanwhile, as I told you, it's not in the Siddur HaGra, which isn't even according to the Gaon's nusach. Look at bentching and you'll see that it includes Posayach Es Yadechah in the first bracha, which the Gaon didn't hold from.

    By Blogger Litvshe, at Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:20:00 PM  

  • Litvshe:

    1. Does your GRA siddur have bonei yerushalayim in benching?

    2. Does it omit v'Shamru before shabbat maariv shmona esreh?

    3. Do you know the famous story of Rav Soloveichik, and keeping tzitzit tucked IN?

    By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at Thursday, June 09, 2005 4:31:00 PM  

  • It has Bonei Yerushalayim for weekdays and Menachem Tzion for Shabbos.

    What's V'shamru?

    Nope? I know the famous Rav story and gartels.

    By Blogger Litvshe, at Thursday, June 09, 2005 5:03:00 PM  

  • When the Rav z'tl was old and already very sick, he had a nurse's aide taking care of him. The aide was helping him get dressed one morning, and the aide said, "Rabbi, how do you want your "fringes" on you - tucked into your pants, or outside?"

    The Rav was very puzzled by the request; "Obivously put them in, why would you think otherwise?"
    The aide replied, "But your grandchildren who come to visit you always have their fringes outside their pants."

    The Rav replied, I hope that one day when they get older, they will realize that they should put them back in..."

    By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at Thursday, June 09, 2005 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home